Thanks for listening to the Upstream Intelligence Channel on the EKT Interactive Oil and Gas Podcast Network.
A 19-minute discussion with Jim Crompton, Adjunct Faculty Member at Colorado School of Mines, narrated by Marty Stetzer – President of EKTinteractive in Houston.
Jim has a long history in following IoT applications in upstream oil and gas. Today, he discusses his topic for the upcoming DDDP conference: “Progress made in the last 5 years in Digital Transformation of the industry – How to produce more productive barrels.”
Topics for discussion:
- The Hope – the business case for what Jim calls the Digital Oilfield 2.0.
- The Hype – a variety of emerging digital technologies that may have potential.
- The Current Reality – numerous pilots underway by majors and independents.
- Examples are given in field operations, artificial lift, logistics optimization, etc.
- The Challenge – managing change is not often understood or well resourced.
About the Experts
“The future is already here, it is just not widely distributed yet” – William Gibson.
After six years at university, and 37 years working in the oil patch for Chevron you would have thought that Jim would have had enough.
But no… Jim leads Reflections Data Consulting LLC to continue his work in data management and analytics for the Exploration and Production industry, including:
1) Improving the Data Foundation for Oil & Gas companies.
2) Advancing the capabilities of modeling and advanced analytics as applied to gaining greater insight into the performance of the digital oil field/integrated operations.
3) His other passion is mentoring the next generation workforce or digital engineers, geo-scientists and information technology professionals.
Marty is President of EKTinteractive in Houston. He is currently producer-director for Oil-101, our popular, mobile-ready series on “How the oil & gas industry works” that covers upstream, midstream and downstream operations fundamentals.
The EKTinteractive learning community is continually updated on important topics with podcasts from industry experts.
He brings 30 years upstream and downstream management experience with Schlumberger, Superior Oil-Mobil, Wilson Industries and Exxon.
He has been a consultant to U.S. and international oil and gas and companies since 1986, including 13 years with PriceWaterhouseCoopers.
Like many of his team, Marty is active in the SPE and often presents at industry forums.